Tuesday, September 22, 2009

They did it!

cello

Three years ago, much to my dismay, the boys put down their cellos and said they were "done". Matt had played for many years and Christopher had played for three. Both were very good. They had the BEST cello teacher ever! They played in some unbelievable concert halls, were learning so many important things that come with learning an instrument (focus, discipline, perseverance, etc.), and were surrounded by a great group of peers and their families. Then, they dropped it all. For three years, I've watched them and I haven't seen anything replace the richness of those experiences ...even if they'd like think video games did :). So, somehow, some way, we convinced then to give it a try and three weeks ago, they picked their instruments back up and started playing again. Over the last few weeks, Matthew's been practicing late at night while I lay in bed trying to fall asleep. I've been stunned how much he (and Christopher) remember and by how beautiful his tone is. Funny how youth take all that talent for granted (I'd give anything to play like that). Their previous teacher, by some stroke of unbelievable good fortune, agreed to take them back into his studio (thank you, thank you, thank you!). Yesterday, they both had auditions and both made it into a local youth orchestra. Their work over the last few weeks so obviously paid off. I think they both felt a surge of confidence. They both looked pretty proud last night....and we are are VERY proud of them!

1 comment:

Two Pearls said...

How wonderful! Good for them.