Monday, February 9, 2009

I think Emma is a little better today

DSC_0205

After 4 days of coughing and fevers in the 104-105 range, Emma seems a bit better today. She's still having coughing fits....those are the worst part. They really frighten her as she is choking and the fear is apparent in her eyes. The only problem is that stress and crying bring a fit on and the nebulizer actually scares her so much that rather than being therapeutic, she gets so worked up just seeing the box that she winds up in a coughing/vomiting fit. I also wonder if the medicine itself is causing a coughing fit (is it the chicken or the egg...while doing a treatment her coughing got worse and she was really choking so I wonder if the medicine itself is irritating or is it the stress???) Any advice? I've already called for the meds in a suspension rather than in the nebulizer, but haven't heard back so I don't know if that is a good option or appropriate. Pneumonia is no fun and the nurse told me yesterday that some kids are getting 5-6 rounds of antibiotics before clearing the infection and many are ending up in the hospital. I'm hoping that isn't the case here. So far today, she's eating a tiny bit today and her fever is low-grade. I'm waiting to see if it climbs as the day goes on.

4 comments:

Stefanie said...

oh my goodness! Poor Emma!! I so hope you are able to give her the medicine in suspension form.
Keep us posted!

my3 kids said...

Awe poor girl. She's sure having a rough time...happy to hear that she seems a little better today. It sure is no fun seeing your child so sick. Poor baby. Get better real soon Emma:)

Marla said...

Oh my gosh, poor thing, that sounds awful. I hope she is better soon.

3 Peanuts said...

Oh I hope you see even more improvement soon. My boys have had to sue the nebulizer and it scared them too...it is loud. I will say some prayers.

Kim